Looks like you are a new visitor to this site. Hello!
Welcome to Hope For Film! Come participate in the discussion, and I encourage you to enter your email address in the sidebar and subscribe. It's free! And easy! If you have any suggestions on how to improve this website or suggestions for topics please don't hesitate to write in to any of the blogs.
(If you keep getting this message, you probably have cookies turned off.)
10 Must Read Or Watch Film Biz Articles Of 2013
By Ted Hope
- Steven Soderbergh’s “State Of Cinema” Address at SFIFF56: http://vimeo.com/65060864. This served as the framing for AO Scott’s 2013 Cinema overview.
- Kevin Spacey’s Edinburgh Address
- Steven Spielberg & George Lucas’ Prediction Of Hollywood Implosion
- Liesl Copland’s “Show Us The Numbers!“
- Ted Sarandos’ Filmmaker Forum Keynote
- “This is Why People Still Pirate” Gizmodo http://gizmodo.com/this-is-why-people-still-pirate-720004529
- “Netflix’s War On Mass Culture” (by Tim Wu) The New Republic http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115687/netflixs-war-mass-culture Wu’s article outlines the shift from mass-market impulse buy entertainment biz to one of educated niche markets. Or as Sheri Candler pointed out, the drive to a new business model where “the model is in AN interest, with all kinds of products to suit it. Narrow enough to serve a niche, wide enough to profit.”
- Start Showing Movies: a Call to Arms by Nandan Rao and Zach Weintraub http://filmmakermagazine.com/71753-start-showing-movies-a-calltoarms/
- Innovation for Film Fests: http://www.sub-genre.com/2013/05/13/innovating-the-new-model-in-film-fests-2/ bonus: Film Fest payment debate: http://www.sub-genre.com/2013/03/05/the-film-festival-payment-debate/
- Netflix Shareholder report/long term view:, links to PDF http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/NFLX/2441659654x0x656145/e4410bd8-e5d4-4d31-ad79-84c36c49f77c/IROverviewHomePageLetter_4.24.13_pdf.pdf
And in case you missed it last week and wanted to put 11 of mine on this list I would include:
- “Say Goodbye To Bizarro World” http://bit.ly/19jleLr
- “I Am No Longer Going To Produce Films For My Living” http://bit.ly/JChOgz
- “How Film Biz Realities Should Change How You Make Films” http://bit.ly/FilmBizRealities
- “Alter Your Creative And Entrepreneurial Practice” http://bit.ly/AlterCreative
- “Best Practices For A Sustainable Creative Life” http://bit.ly/SustainCrtvLife
- “The Really Good Things In #IndieFilm Biz 2013″ http://bit.ly/1ewO8w4
- “The Really Bad Things In #IndieFilm Biz 2013″ http://bit.ly/18A5DN9
- “Five More Qualities Of Better Film” http://bit.ly/1gjyJmd – but you have to make sure to 1st read: “32 Qualities Of Better Film” http://bit.ly/1bwmr6c
- “15 Ways To Build A Sustainable Investor Base For Your Fims” http://bit.ly/JKytyB
- “15 Predictions On The Future Of Indie Film” http://bit.ly/18LXym8
- “Distribution Case Study Masterlist” http://bit.ly/1coSzrQ (Inspired by 2012′s Indie Game the Movie’s Case Study of their distribution: http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/news/2012/10/31/indie-game-the-movie-the-case-study.html )
Read: Smash The Box! 10 Things To Read In Prep For The Total Systems Reboot Of The Film Biz.
Note: Special Thanks to Brian Newman, Sheri Candler, & Joe Beyer for suggesting one or more of these articles.