Looks like you are a new visitor to this site. Hello!
Welcome to Hope For Film! Come participate in the discussion, and I encourage you to enter your email address in the sidebar and subscribe. It's free! And easy! If you have any suggestions on how to improve this website or suggestions for topics please don't hesitate to write in to any of the blogs.
(If you keep getting this message, you probably have cookies turned off.)
Why Go DRM-Free? 6 Reasons To Start
We want to make sure you have the best gift in the best form to give all your friends, family, and loved ones this holiday season. That’s why we put DARK HORSE up in a DRM-free form. You can order it now right here. We respect you — and we want you to still love us in the morning after the magic of the first time has gone. Get up and ride again. Giddyapp!
It makes me wonder: when will DRM-free be the usual way? Sure you can get Dark Horse on iTunes or on Amazon but why not order it in a form that you can put on all your devices. You know you will want to watch it again and again.
Here’s 6 reasons why everyone should release there work DRM-free:
- -DRM is a false sense of security. People that are determined to not pay for your film will find a way, no matter what restrictions you put in place.
- -DRM-free enables you to take advantage of social activity on-line and in the real world. There is always an element of sharing that happens with art and entertainment, and social networks have made it that much easier and created more opportunities for filmmakers to find an audience. You need to be part of the ongoing dialogue happening around your film, and instituting restrictive DRM limits that.
- -The only people who lose with DRM are your customers. Why hurt people who have already given you money?
- -Giving customers the option of DRM-free shows you trust and respect them, and want them to enjoy your work with the least restriction possible. This is a critical part of positively building your audience.
- -DRM-free files are the most compatible, and can be played flawlessly on any device, any platform, and anywhere in the world. It’s also much easier to implement features like subtitles and commentary tracks using available open standards.
- -By using open, DRM-free standards, you ensure your files are future proof and will never be incompatible with future technology.
I hope you will help build this list. Many thanks to Adam Klaff of VHX.tv for getting it started.