August 26 at 8:30am

How Much Does An American Indie Producer Get Paid?

Even if we are not in it for the money, it does not mean we shouldn’t be rewarded fairly for our knowledge, labor, services, expertise, relationships, and talent. It doesn’t happen much. If you are either starting out or already at an expert level, what can you expect to earn producing in the American Indie Film Industry, circa 2011.

It is often said by financiers that one of the problems with the film biz is that producers do not have enough “skin in the game”. They frequently think that the services Producers provide may not be worth the price they pay. I beg to differ, and I think if they feel that way they are working with the wrong producers.

I think a fair rule of thumb of what to pay for an expert producer, is five percent (5%) of negative costs, subject to a cap based on precedent. If one is not a true producer (i.e. there and responsible for everything from beginning to end), then one is not deserving of that full fee.

But you don’t start there. You need to work your way up to that fee.

So…

What does an indie producer get paid on a film?
2-5% of “budget” — depending on experience.

What is a fair initial salary?
2%: $50K for $2M, w/$25K increase per $1M increase in budget

What kind of cap is fair?
cap at $150K until 5 films produced
cap at $250K until you have a hit
cap at combined director & script fee
increase the cap if you are coming off a hit;
5% of negative cost, up until a budget level of $40M, with balance going on backend.

What does a producer fee mean in terms of earning a living?
Well, to answer that you have to answer a few other questions:

How long does it take to get a project made?
5.5 years (generally speaking)
development 2years
packaging 6 months*
financing 1year
production/post 1year
distrib/mktg.fests 1year

What is the annual take-home for a film
Annual starting producer salary for a $3M film (2%) = $10,900 /yr
Annual starting producer salary for a $5M film (2%) = $18,181 /yr
Annual starting producer salary for a $10M film (2%) = $36,363 /yr

Annual experienced producer salary for a $3M film (5%) = $27,272 /yr
Annual experienced producer salary for a $5M film (5%) = $45,454 /yr
Annual experienced producer salary for a $10M film (5%) = $90,909 /yr

The hard reality is that the American Indie Film Biz average budget is probably below $3M these days. It is the range I expect most of my movies to be in these days. Recognizing what it costs to live in NYC, it looks like one might need to produce 5 -10 features a year to make it work. It doesn’t leave much room for a hands-on craft-oriented approach to producing. A volume business is generally thought to be the antithesis of quality. Content can’t be king if no one is willing to pay for it. Clearly at these fee levels producers have a tremendous amount of “skin in the game” because the only way this could equal a career is if one is betting on the upside of the backend and winning.

1. www / Aug 26 at 8:30am

After I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with the same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you can remove me from that service? Many thanks!

2. www / Aug 26 at 8:30am

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thanks, However I am encountering difficulties with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anybody else getting similar RSS problems? Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

3. www / Aug 26 at 8:30am

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you ought to publish more about this topic, it may not be a taboo matter but typically people do not speak about such subjects. To the next! Best wishes!!

4. www / Aug 26 at 8:30am

I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your content. This great article has truly peaked my interest. I will take a note of your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed as well.

5. www / Aug 26 at 8:30am

I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy that I found this during my hunt for something regarding this.

6. www / Aug 26 at 8:30am

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I came across it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

7. www / Aug 26 at 8:30am

Can I just say what a relief to uncover an individual who really knows what they’re talking about on the internet. You definitely understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More and more people should read this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised that you are not more popular given that you definitely have the gift.

8. www / Aug 26 at 8:30am

After I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the same comment. There has to be an easy method you are able to remove me from that service? Thanks!